Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Things To Do While Waiting For The Adoption To Be Complete...

I came across this "Things To Do" list when we were very early in the adoption process. It still cracks me up, so I thought I would share it with you. What's even funnier is that these are sooooo true. I am guilty of most of them! ;)

Teach yourself to knit…by the time the adoption is complete, you can have an entire wardrobe complete for your child - through age 12 (ok, I didn't take up knitting, but have a closet stocked of 6-24 month clothes...I am NOT kidding)

Stalk other people’s blogs and compare timelines (guilty)

Obsessively check message boards/forums to check up on gossip and compare timelines (guilty...I am a Guatadopt and Adoption.com addict)

Rearrange the furniture in the nursery weekly (once again, guilty! wardrobe and toy chest to be delivered tomorrow...then I can finally make up my mind)

Go to the mall and stalk families with children who look like they might be internationally adopted.

Stock pile diapers, baby wipes, baby lotion, and baby soap. (Yep! Stages 2-5 diapers...all different brands)

Launder the wardrobe you have purchased for your child repeatedly then reorganize the closet and dresser. Again. (I actually held off on removing tags or washing anything until we were out of PGN)

Practice your glare in the mirror for anyone to who dares to ask if you have heard when your child will be coming home. (I haven't done this one)

Learn Spanish. Impress the kid at the Taco Bell drive thru by ordering in Spanish. (NOT guilty)

Practice Car Seat installation drills. Try to get your time down to 45 seconds for correct installation. (Please don't give my husband any ideas...)

Get used to the feel of the Baby Bjorn carrier by carrying the cat around in it. (Ok, I have tried it on, but haven't put the cat in it. Again, please don't give my husband any ideas)

Check email for 37th time for messages from your agency. (This one is soooo true!)

Seek medical attention for the scratches from the cat.

Replace shredded Baby Bjorn.

Call husband and ask him to send test email to ensure email is working. (I have actually sent "test" emails to myself!)


Call husband and ask him to leave you a voice mail to ensure it is working correctly.

Check voicemail for the 24th time in case agency called while you were checking email.

Check voicemail again in case agency tried to call while you were talking to your husband.


Take deep breaths and try not to come unglued when people tell you that you have to keep living your life normally until you get “the call". (Yeah right! Stressed, anxious? Not me!) :)

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable...dwell on these things." Philippians 4:8

4 comments:

David and Marianne said...

Very cute...made me smile about the things I'm "guilty" of during our adoption too : ) Praying everything continues to go as planned!!

Sara said...

These were great, made me laugh! I am guilty of some too:)

Amy said...

Great list - unfortunately or fortunately I am guilty of some of these things. :)

Hoping next time I check your blog there is new news! :)

Whitney said...

Hilarious list...I can totally relate! I made the 2 1/2 year old test out the sling (we don't have a cat), and he kept saying "no like, me no like" while he cried!

I saw that you had a new post and I thought it was "the one"! Hang in there...praying for you!