Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More Drama...

Well, this adoption journey continues to be interesting. We have been sailing along pretty smoothly since Mason was released from the hospital. However, yesterday we found ourselves in the midst of a tidal wave. This whole process is very difficult to explain, let alone the current issue at hand.

Here is my attempt, for what it is worth. I have mentioned before that the adoption process (b/t US & Guatemala) is going to change significantly in 2008...to what extent remains unknown. We entered this knowing fully well there may be delays, but were reassured we would be "far enough into the process" by end of 2007 to be "OK" or "grandfathered in". Basically we were under the impression that as long as we have "PA" by Dec 31, 2007 we were "safe"...but there could be some "delays" in 2008. We are currently about 2 weeks into our PA wait (remember this can take up to 60 days).

Well, yesterday the US Department of State issued a very stern and alarming statement regarding the fate of adoptions that are pending (meaning not finalized) after Dec 31. In a nutshell they are now stating there is no guarantee that any "pending" case will be allowed to continue EVER. There is still so much unknown and uncertainty. I can tell you many in the adoption community are FRIGHTENED, CONCERNED and ready to advocate for these waiting families and children.

So, of course upon hearing this devastating news I did what I do best....CRIED MY EYES OUT! Then I calmed down, spent time in prayer and sent letters of concern to the DOS and other US/State Reps. I have said it before and will say it again...I believe firmly that God has led us to adopt and he has brought Mason into our lives with purpose and a plan. A plan that I pray is to bring him home forever to our family.

I can honestly tell you that if we "lose" this child his innocent face will haunt me for the rest of my life. I can't even put into words how I feel about Mason...as far as I am concerned he is "our son" although there is not a piece of paper proving so. I will wonder every day what ever became of him.

Readers....this is not just about us & Mason. There are many, many other waiting families and children out there whose lives will be forever changed if cases are not allowed to continue. Just because adoptions stop, it does not mean these children will easily find other homes in their country. Guatemala is poverty stricken, they do not have the government "support" to care for these children or help the orphanages who are providing their care. I do not want to appear selfish during this time, because it is not just about me and what I want.

I have sent an example letter to many of you to email to the DOS with concerns. Thank you for those willing to act on our behalf. If you are reading this and would like to know what you can do to help, leave a comment with your email address, I will email you a letter to send. I have heard there may soon be an online petition. If/when I receive word of this I will post it to our blog.

At this point we are awaiting word/advice from our agency. We are also waiting for our September health report and case update. We are hoping they will be able to offer some insight as to what we can expect in the near future.

In the midst of all this I must hang on to my FAITH. God is my shield and He has heard my cries, He has heard my prayers. I pray His name will be glorified throughout this process. With this being said, I must also prepare myself to stand firm in my FAITH and TRUST in Him...regardless of the outcome of this.

"The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord have never forsaken those who seek you" Psalm 9:9-10

Here is a link to the DOS statement that was issued yesterday.
http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_389.html

Mason will be 12 weeks old tomorrow. We appreciate your support and prayers. OK, I can no longer see my computer screen...tears : (

No comments: