Saturday, January 26, 2008

Still Rejoicing!

I am pretty sure I have been running on pure adrenaline for the past week! I hope this adrenaline rush gets me through the next few weeks of waiting! I am still in shock and can't even tell you the number of times each day I thank the Lord for the good news we have received. I have had many people ask about the next steps, so here is my attempt to outline them for you:

1. Final Decree. The Final Decree is issued & signed by the Birth Mother for the 4th and final time. This is the day Mason becomes legally ours. DONE !!!!!!

2. Civil Registry Issues New Birth Certificate. Once the Final Decree is signed, a request for a new birth certificate to the Civil Registry where the child's birth is registered is submitted. The Civil Registry will issue a new Birth Certificate showing the child's birth first name and the adoptive parent's last name. Our agency thought the attorney would get the BC sometime last week. Awaiting confirmation.

3. Passport. Once the new BC arrives, a file is submitted to Immigration in Guatemala to request the child's passport. Our agency thought the attorney would have this by today (1/26), if he was able to get BC this past week.

4. Final Package to Embassy and DNA Authorization. The Final Package (translated versions of the BC, Final Decree, PGN resolution, POA, PA, Passport photocopy, & Home Study) is submitted to the US Embassy. Within 24 hours the Embassy issues authorization (the Orange Slip) for second DNA test and Embassy Medical Exam. The passport and Orange Slip should happen 1-2 days from receipt of BC.

5. DNA Sample and Medical Exam. The child is taken to the Embassy doctor for a medical exam & a second DNA sample (to ensure the child is the same child that got pre-approval when the process began). The DNA sample is sent to a laboratory in the States. The test results are sent to the US Embassy. DNA test results are taking about 2 weeks from the date the sample is taken.

6. Visa Appointment Scheduled (Pink Slip). Once the DNA test results are received by the US Embassy, the visa appointment is scheduled and the adoptive parents notified. The notification is called the Pink Slip. The Pink Slip is emailed within 48 hours of the Embassy receiving DNA confirmation. They say appointment dates are approximately10 days to 2 weeks from scheduling, but I have been seeing 2-2 1/2 weeks as well.

7. Attend Visa Appointment. The child is taken to the US Embassy to be sworn in as a US citizen! The following day the child's US Visa is ready for pick up. After that, the child can enter the United States!

8. Breathe! Yippee...Cheer...Sing Praise...Shout...Dance...Rejoice! We will be home sweet home with our little boy!

I am hoping to receive an update from our agency next week...praying they tell us steps 2 & 3 can be checked off the list! I will keep you updated as we receive new information. Oh, in case you're wondering if I went completely crazy and overboard after receiving the news last Friday....the answer is YES!! I did some serious power shopping, and I cut off all the tags & washed everything! I can't even tell you how good it felt! (I will post pictures later).

"For you make me glad by Your deed, O Lord; I sing for joy at the works of your hands" Psalm 92:4

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you! (I saw your dad today and wanted to congratulate him, but he left the restaurant before I had a chance.) I am praying that your trip to and from Guatemala is safe and that the rest of this paperwork is smooth sailing.
Thrilled for you,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Praise God!! I've been following your adoption story and have been anxiously (although I'm sure not as anxiously as you have been)waiting to hear the great news. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Pineapple Princess said...

Things are REALLY getting exciting now!
Can't wait to see your pictures from your shopping spree!!!
Mason is going to be home so soon. YEA! God is so faithful! It feels like yesterday that I was praying for Mason to get out of the hospital, and now he's healthy and perfect and coming HOME!!!

Stacy

Amy said...

Your post brings a smile to my face. How excited you must be! We rejoice with you in this answered prayer and in God's faithfulness throughout this journey.

Can't wait to see pictures of Mason at HOME!

Anonymous said...

He's officially yours--just as God planned. Oh my, I am so excited for you!!
Angie

Candy said...

I AM JUMPING FOR JOY WITH YOU...YIPEEEEEEEEEE HUGS

Sara said...

I can tell how very excited you are...ahh to be nearing the end of this part of the journey:) God is so good!

Courtney said...

so happy for you. things are moving along for you guys. i will keep you in my prayers. we should be getting our dna results/pink this week. courtney

hello somebody said...

I am so excited for you!!!! I can't wait to see pics of him home!